Questionssend message
Main logo
About us

Success rates

To best measure the prospect of treatment success, it is important to look beyond pregnancy figures to see the rates of post-treatment birth rates.

Probability of a "regular" pregnancy


One of the main factors that can dictate a successful pregnancy is the age of the woman, or rather of her eggs. Women with no underlying fertility issues under 35 years of age can expect a pregnancy probability of 80 percent in the first months if they have regular sexual intercourse.


After one year, the rate rises to 90 percent. The remaining 10 percent who do not become pregnant during this period and under these conditions must be assumed to have reduced fertility. So if pregnancy does not occur after about 6 to 12 months, it makes sense to go to a fertility clinic for examination and counselling.

Success rates and facts about fertility treatment


For pregnancy and birth rates, the composition of the patient group covered is of great importance. This is because the probability of pregnancy decreases with increasing age, even in the case of fertility treatments.

In-vitro Fertilisation (IVF) - chances

  • The DIR yearbook (German IVF Register) shows an average pregnancy rate per embryo transfer of about 35 per cent for IVF with an average age of the women of 36.


  • Here, 30-year-old women have a significantly better success rate of 40 percent, while the pregnancy rate for 42-year-old women is 20 percent per embryo transfer.


  • The probability of having a baby, therefore, varies greatly from individual to individual and is about 20 to 30 percent with IVF treatment. The DIR shows an average birth rate of 22.5 percent.


  • If new treatments are necessary due to treatment failure or loss of the primary pregnancy, the cycle-related probability of success remains almost unchanged for the next 6 cycles. If several treatments are considered, the so-called cumulative pregnancy rate can also be presented, which promises even greater chances of success: after 4 IVF cycles, 60 to 70 percent of the women become pregnant (according to DIR 66 percent).


    The probability of having twins with IVF treatment is around 20 per cent.

Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) - chances

  • The success rate for insemination is lower than for IVF. For a successful insemination treatment, at least more than 5 million progressively motile sperm should be detectable after preparation of the ejaculate. Since the birth rate after insemination treatments is only 8 to 9 percent, the procedure should only be performed in suitable patients. Patients over the age of 38 are no longer recommended insemination treatment because of the decreasing chance of pregnancy due to age.

Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) - chances

  • ICSI: According to the IVF fund Austria, the pregnancy rate after an Intracytoplasmic Sperm injection is just under 35 percent. Similar to IVF, this depends on the age of the woman. In ICSI therapy, the sperm cell is introduced directly into the cytoplasm (ooplasm) of an egg cell.


Cryo transfer (cryo) - chances

  • Cryopreservation: According to the IVF fund Austria, the pregnancy rate for fertility treatment after Cryopreservation is a about 33 per cent.


Individual prospects of success with the desire to have children

Apart from the average pregnancy and birth rate, infertile couples still have to consider their personal situation in order to assess their own prospects of success. A fertility clinic can also help with a realistic assessment of a chance of having a child. One of the most important factors is always the age of the woman and her eggs.

Chances of success in our fertility clinics

The TFP clinics in Austria are significantly above the national average of the Austrian IVF fund according to their treatment successes in the three age groups 25-29, 30-34 and 35-39:

success rates

You can find the success rates of our fertility clinics in detail here:


Pre-footer

Ready to start your fertility journey? We're here for you!

Schedule an online appointment and start a new fertility journey with us.