Logo of TFP Danfert Fertility
Logo of TFP Danfert Fertility

Ask the Fertility Specialist

You can ask questions regarding infertility and fertility treatments directly to the doctor. We try to answer your questions as quickly as possible.

Please note that your question will be public, but of course, we will not show your e-mail and real name if you want to be anonymous. However, it is important that we have your information, otherwise, the question will not be answered 

Ask a question

If your enquiry is about gynecology or insemination, please do not fill in this contact form. Instead call us on +45 38 34 90 30


ROPA method

Hello, my wife (35) and I (28) would like to have a child. Our plan at the moment is for me to have a IUI procedure, as my hormonal levels and all other exams are fine.My wife is considering whether she would like to freeze her eggs since she is not that young anymore and her AMH levels are not very high. In case she decides to do that, would it be possible in a future pregnancy to use the Ropa method? My wife is not comfortable with the idea of being pregnant herself.
Thank you very much!


The Ropa method (reception of oocytes from partner) is not allowed in Denmark.

However, if you have a medical reason for not being able to use your own eggs, your partner is allowed to donate eggs to you. So egg donation between female partners is allowed if there is a medical reason that you need donor eggs.

With kind regards, Ursula Bentin-Ley

Infertility investigation

Hi. I just got back from my GP after asking about treatment options. My partner and I have been trying to get pregnant without success for the past year. But my GP told me that we should wait another year before starting any investigation. I’m 32 and my partner is 33, and another year seems like a long time to wait. I’ve also been reading a bit about recommended times to start investigating, and most places say you should seek help after a year. Especially when you’re using tracking devices which can help narrow down your fertile window. So my question to you is, what should I do? Is it common practice to wait two years in Denmark? Or should I insist upon a referral from my doctor?


Dear Irene

Infertility investigation should start after 12 months of unprotected sex, if you have tried to obtain a pregnancy.

Therefore, I recommend that you go back to your GP and ask for a referral to a gynaecologist.  We can start this investigation immediately. Your partner also needs a referral.

We will start an investigation including blood tests and an examination of your tubes. Your GP does not need to do any of this work-up, we can do all investigations within 2-3 weeks. Your partner needs a referral for a sperm analysis, preferably at Rigshospitalet. We will give him the referral or your GP can do so, no problem. Normally, the last result we obtain is the sperm analysis.

In case of any questions, you can always call us at 3834 9030. The phone is open from 9-14.

Kind regards, Ursula Bentin-Ley

IVF for Single

Hi doctor
Good day! i am interested in IVF for singles. i am 41, female from Singapore. Eggs were extracted 2 years ago. i would like to seek your advice on this. look forward to your reply.


Dear Frida

First I kindly ask you to send your AMH and former stimulation- and egg forms to us. It is very helpful to see how you responded earlier, and how your oocytes developed. Please, send the information to:  booking@danfert.dk.

Afterwards, we can come with a suggestion and plan an introductory interview over Skype if you want to start treatment.

Kind regards,

Ursula Bentin-Ley


My same-sex partner and I want to have a baby. I am 40 years old and have never been pregnant.

Last year, I checked out a solid tumor in my ovary with a diameter of 23mm. This year, I checked the diameter of 13mm, which was reduced a bit and it was negative. My AMH was 3.77 last year and 3.91 this year. Everything else is normal, except that vitamin D is relatively low, and I am taking vitamin D supplements.

This is my first attempt to get pregnant. My doctor recommended IUI treatment to reduce the stimulation of needle discharge. I want to hear your suggestions. I also want to go to Denmark for treatment as soon as possible. Do you recommend IUI or IVF?


Dear B

Whether you should start with IUI or IVF is a difficult question. Your AMH is still fine, if it is measured in ng/ml. If it is measured in pmol/l, it is very low. Just check the units.

There is no doubt that IVF is much more effective than IUI. On the other hand, IUI is easier and cheaper. However, you must also add travel expenses and expenses for the donor sperm to the treatment costs every time.

With an AMH of almost 4 ng/ml, your costs for medication are relatively low, as your ovarian reserve seems to be very fine.

My best estimate is, that 1 round of IVF will be as effective as 3 rounds of IUI treatment. Maybe you should try to make a budget taking these informations into account. That might be helpful in making a decision.

We will inform you further on treatment and medication costs during the introductory interview.

Kind regards,

Ursula Bentin-Ley

Rainbow child

My friend (28) and I (37) wish to start a family together. Since our sexuality differs, we have tried several times with home-insemination when I am going to ovulate. My question is, how we can proceed? My GP is not able to help me, and although we are not very busy, we don’t want to waste our time because of my age.


Dear A

As I understand your question, you wish to have a child together and start a family. This means, that both of you will be parents to your rainbow child. You have tried home-insemination without luck.

Like all other couples that wish to have a child, you both need a fertility investigation. This investigation does not differ from heterosexual couples. If you live in Denmark, you can ask your GP for a referral. After the investigation, we will be able to counsel you about the different treatment options (insemination, IVF or gamete donation).

Since you are 37 years old, I will recommend that you start with the fertility investigation now. You can always decide later on, whether you want to continue with home-insemination once you know the results, or if you want to start fertility treatment.

Best wishes, Ursula Bentin-Ley


Let's talk fertility

Understand family growth options
in a consult with TFP experts in Frederiksberg.